My husband and I recently came back from a mini-vacay to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary! Yay, we made it! Like most people, you hate the ending of a trip and coming back to reality… but what’s worse (if you’re like me) is coming home to a dirty house. Cleaning our house is something we do not do a good job of… we usually let the house go, mail everywhere, carpet not vacuumed, dishes piled high, and don’t get me started on the bathroom… ugh!
However, one thing we always try to do is clean before we leave on a trip so that we come home to a relatively “fresh” house. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked up different strategies/plan-of-attacks into cleaning a house efficiently and effectively. We’ve tried a few cleaning plans and we found that this plan from Saving Dollars and Sense worked the best for us! The main tips is:
- ALWAYS put stuff back in it’s place before cleaning (i.e. laundry, dishes, etc.) – we tackle this in each room before busting out any cleaning supplies so we don’t have to stop in the middle of our cleaning to run to another room
- Start the laundry before you start cleaning – this helps you kill 2 birds with 1 stone: you can clean and get your laundry done at the same time… just don’t forget about it
- ALWAYS start with the “wet” areas in the house first (i.e. bathrooms and kitchen) – these usually take up more time and you expend more effort
- Have a “Cleaning Kit” – I have a caddy full of cleaning products that I just take with me from room to room (I’ll do a blog on what’s in my caddy!)
- ALWAYS start from top to bottom – the last thing you want to do is sweep the floor only to push more stuff to the floor
- Don’t forget the finishing touches like dusting the molding, wiping down handles and door knobs – these little things just brighten up the whole room
Let me know if you guys have any tips on making cleaning your house go by fast! I’ll do a “what’s in my cleaning caddy” post shortly!